Monday, February 13, 2006

Answer The Call

Ok. So............... maybe I meant ten minutes per week. Geez!


Today (this week) I want to talk about something much more serious than Madonna.
Wil Wheaton recently put out a call to everyone to sign themselves up on the national bone marrow registry.

"You can reassure your friends that signing up for the registry does not
require donating any bone marrow. If it turns out they are a match, they
will be contacted, and can make the decision at that point about becoming a
donor.
There are lots of misconceptions about donating bone marrow. (I
know I was terrified of doing it before I learned how minor the procedure
actually is.) The procedure is simple and safe. You will be anesthetized the
whole time, so you will not feel anything. When the procedure is over, you
may have some soreness in the area for a few days and you may feel a little
tired. That's it. The bone marrow you donate is replenished within 3-4
weeks. And again, you will only undergo this procedure if your blood sample
shows that you are a match and you decide to donate, in which case the
slight soreness you'll be feeling will be saving someone's life."

I had no idea that it was that simple. I realize that he is referring to
the American registry but I cannot see Canada's being much more difficult. Jason and I are both going to the doctor on Wednesday. I've decided that I'm going to inquire about getting myself registered on the list.

Jason had to have his bone marrow tested once. His back might have been frozen a little, but he was definitely not knocked out. He admitted to experiencing more than just a little discomfort. He still shudders when he thinks about it. I can't even touch his scar. This from a self-claimed "Superman". Maybe it is different when you are "donating" rather than being tested. I'm not sure. But I think if you knew that your pain was going to literally save someone's life, you'd do it. Without thinking. At least, I'd like to think that I would.

So now I'm joining Wil and putting out my own call, to all of you. Well,.... all 4.5 people who actually read this. You never know, one of us might actually match someone out there who really needs us. Now that would be something to say you did with your life!

And that concludes this weeks ten minutes.

Good night and good luck!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|