Friday, June 23, 2006

Hard To Believe

Today is the last day of school. It's hard to believe that my two oldest kids are all done kindergarten. Last September, I was so nervous and scared for them, but mostly for me. I didn't know how I would handle all this change. But they did wonderful. Beyond wonderful. They are reading better than me!

I took their picture, just like I did on the first day, just to compare. I should try to do this every year. Track their growth, you know. They change so fast. You can't say anything to Samuel without him rolling his eyes at you. And tall! They're getting so big!

We are going to take them to see "Cars" tonight, to celebrate the end of school. Thanks again Kellie for the tickets! Sherry asked me what I was buying my kids for passing. Like a present. Last year they bought Paulina a bike. This year Gary is building her a big sand box. I have to say I think I disagree with the whole "buying your child a gift for passing" thing. Shouldn't they be passing anyway? I mean what if one year they don't pass? What then? I buy a big gift for Samuel but not for Jules? I mean hopefully they will always pass, but you never really know. School does get harder the older they get, and maybe they will lose interest in learning. Who knows? This is not to knock Sherry and Gary. A lot of parents are doing this. I'm probably in the minority. Personally, I'm just more apt to celebrate the "end of the school year" or "the start of Summer" or even just "celebrate" the fact that they passed and how well they did in school without the grand gifts.


What is also hard to believe is that it has been a week since we ordered our house! Last Thursday, June 15th( a.k.a. Kel's birthday) we spent the day going to the bank, dropping papers off at the lawyer, and making any last minute changes to the floor plan. And by 5pm, we were done! I must say it was quite exhausting. My head hurt. I mean math always makes my head hurt anyway so maybe that was it. All those numbers, all day long. Way too many zeros!

We also ordered our new kitchen table. It's very nice. Almost too nice, really. It's one of those high pub or bar styles, where the table and chair legs are longer, like in a bar. The table is about the height of a countertop. It is very dark wood, which will go well with our cherry cabinets. It's square(when the leaf is in use) and comes with 8 chairs and a lazy susan. We're going to use 2-3 of the chairs at our breakfast counter, so it works out great because I don't have to buy stools. There were two different styles available for two different prices. The nicest, of course, was more expensive. It's wood was darker, it's chairs constructed better, and just looked nicer overall. We had planned on buying the cheaper one (which believe me is not cheap!) but the saleslady ended up letting us buy the other one for the same price. So yippee for us! I guess that just goes to show you how jacked up the prices are around here on such things, that she would drop it $300 without blinking. Oh well, it is a damn nice table.

Living in that new house, with all this new furniture is going to take some getting used to. I think it will be a long time before it feels like home and not a hotel. Well, with 3 kids and a cat, it might not take as long as I think. :) Maybe just a week or two? Until the first crayon marks are on the wall, the first scratches on the finishing, etc... Oh well, there's no place like home.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|