Wednesday, June 02, 2004

It is raining hard outside. I can hear it on the roof. That is one of the benefits in living in an older trailer - you can hear the rain. I love that sound. There is just something so relaxing about it. I'm rather partial to rainy days. Everyone always complains about them, that there is no sun, etc... But I much enjoy them. On sunny days there is such pressure to DO something. Some sort of productive outdoor activity. But on days like today, all expectations are gone.

On cold, rainy days like these, I close all my curtains, shutting myself off from the rest of the world. On days like this you can pretend that you live somewhere else. That if you drew open the drapes, a penthouse view of New York City would be there. Behind the curtains, you are living in your own little world. No one seems to want to drop in for a surprise visit on a rainy day. We're like ants that way...with the first drop of water we scatter into our holes, our homes.

My favorite days have always been where the door never opens and the phone never rings. These days are hard to come by so they must be savoured. Housework loses it's importance. Dishes can stay in the sink, beds can go unmade, laundry can be done tomorrow. Today, nothing is important. Not nothing as in not-a-thing, but nothing as in doing nothing. The most important thing is to DO nothing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|