Thursday, September 28, 2006

Good night, Johnboy

Since our hopes of being into our new house for Thanksgiving have been dashed(our house isn't even arriving now until the 5th), it's been decided that we will host an old fashioned family Thanksgiving here. Everyone seems really excited to have it here in the old homestead. Mom and Dad, Lee, Sherry and her family, and even Kellie will be joining us. Mom has suggested that we invite Jason's parents as well, so we will definitely have a house full for dinner. I hope my turkey is big enough. I'm glad we will have at least one vegetarian in attendance. :)

I'm obviously in charge of the turkey(scary, I know) and potatoes, Sherry's bringing vegetables and rolls, and Mom is making dressing and dessert. I'd also like to see about adding a salad to the menu this year. Perhaps I can talk the vegetarian into taking this one on? lol.

Rather than just eat and run, the plan is to make a day(and night) out of it. This has caused me to move our dinner from Sunday to Saturday, because Jason works on Thanksgiving Monday. Everyone is going to arrive sometime in the early afternoon and hang out and hopefully help me in the kitchen while the kids play upstairs or outside. Then after we're all stuffed with supper, we're supposed to sit down with a drink and play a game of Texas Hold'em and anything else that we can think of at the time. Sherry and her family are even going to spend the night here. Mom and Dad have declined such an invitation and are opting to go home. Haven't talked to Lee about this yet, but I did put out the invite to Kellie and I think she said yes. Kellie? We certainly have the room here. The sofa in the livingroom folds out into a bed and there are two spare twin beds downstairs and one spare double bed upstairs.

So, as I said before, it's going to be an "old fashioned" family Thanksgiving. The Waltons come to mind. Jason said at night we'll be saying...."Goodnight Gary, Goodnight Anna, Goodnight Paulina" etc... Maybe we can even do a breakfast of some sort the next morning. I nominate going for Take-out. Costly but less mess.

It's been disappointing having the house be delayed week after week. But next week, our house will come on Thursday and then on Saturday we'll be hosting Thanksgiving. And because everyone is spending the night, having a drink, playing games, etc.... it's kinda like we're having a little celebration. It has been quite the year for us, to say the least, but we still have so much to be thankful for. It's nice that we are all going to be together to acknowledge that this year. I think Grammy and Grandad would really enjoy seeing us all together like this, in their home. Preston is over the moon. I hope that it surprises us all and everyone actually ends up having a really good time, because as everyone knows, with family, there are no guarantees. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|