Wednesday, October 04, 2006

This is it

Tomorrow, sometime between 12pm and 1pm, our new house will arrive at it's final destination.

I can't quite believe it. It doesn't seem real.

I literally dreamt of this day my whole life. As a girl I always remember loving houses, noticing little details that I probably shouldn't have for my age. I've spent countless hours (years) decorating every room in my head. Of course, my taste has changed over the years. I would have never built this house ten years ago, or even five years ago.

After what happened this summer, with Jules and Abby getting diagnosed, I thought I would never get excited about houses again. I couldn't. I felt like that part of me, who took such pleasure in colors, fabric, paint, furniture - had died. It wasn't that I thought I shouldn't think about such things anymore, it was that I really couldn't care less. Details like that didn't matter anymore. Nothing did. Of course, like most things, it has gotten better with time. We are slowly finding ourselves again.

So this Sunday, I found myself all alone in town shopping. A rarity, to say the least. Jason was working and Mom had offered to keep the kids. I was shopping for groceries and a few things for the house. Curtains mainly. I enjoyed this profusely, finding the perfect match to compliment my bedroom decor. My cell phone rings and it is Jason. "Why don't you go and get that chair", he says. I had seen one in the sales flyer the day before. It is a tub chair, just like I had always wanted. It is even a chocolate brown color, which will match my living room. "Yeah right", I say. I think he is teasing me like he has a tendency to do. But he is serious. I cannot say how excited I was! I believe I made quite the spectacle of myself, sitting in it, testing it out, there in the aisle of Wal-Mart. It is just soo cute. I was happy, obviously to be buying this piece of furniture, but even more, I was happy that it made me happy. That I could feel such pure joy again over such a tiny detail.

We all know that such things - material possessions - don't really matter in life. But sometimes, on a sunny Sunday afternoon, they can still bring you joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|