Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Show Must Go On

Yesterday morning, I sat here typing a post announcing that I was cancelling my annual Oscar party. I had decided on Sunday that it was best just to skip it this year. It wasn't that I was overly depressed or anything so dramatic. I just found I wasn't as into it this year, as I usually am. Normally, I start planning this event, weeks or even months, in advance. eg: new fun ways of decorating, invitations, food, etc... After all, it is the event of the season. :)

As I finished writing the post, I found myself feeling sad and disappointed. I have always loved the Oscars. I'm a huge movie buff and especially love that old Hollywood feeling that you get with the Academy Awards. The red carpet, the dresses, the surprised acceptance speeches....love it, love it, love it. I would print out a copy of all the nominees (before I had a computer, I would use a pull-out from US magazine) and try to predict who would win each award. Usually I would get half right. It was fun, the idea of being an amateur and trying to guess who would win for "Best Sound Mixing". And thus my idea of hosting my own Oscar party was born. I started saying how one day I would host an Oscar party - a night where all of our friends would come dressed in formal attire(as if we were actually attending the awards), fill out our own ballots and watch the Academy Awards together. Some day... I would say. I was waiting for us to have a house, a bigger and nicer space to hold such an event. But two years ago, I grew tired of waiting. Even though we still lived in our old mobile home trailer, I decided that life was too short and hosted our First Annual Oscar Party. I swore to myself that I would host it every year, without fail.

So, to cut to the chase, I never published yesterday's post. I changed my mind. How could I not have it? So what if it's been a hard year? So what if we have no money? Life is too short. The show must go on....

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|