Sunday, September 19, 2004

Yesterday morning I took Jules and Samuel to Sunday School for the first time. I was a little sad about it because it was their first "school" setting, a sign of times to come. As I walked the kids down the stairs to the basement of the church, I was overcome with memories. I never hated church as a child. I always loved Sunday mornings. Mom and I would go to Sunday School, then walk upstairs and go to church, and then back home. Every year Mom was always my teacher. I don't know if it was intentional, or just a coincidence, but I can not remember having anyone else.

Anyway, I had decided to hang around just in case the kids got shy, upset, etc.... So I sat there, in the lounge area, listening and watching the happenings of each classroom. It's funny how those rooms seemed bigger then. I had flashbacks of cardboard angel wings and tinsel halos. And then something weird happened.....I felt a sense of contentment or peace of some kind, wash over me. Almost a feeling of coming home. It was quite disarming, actually.

I haven't been to church in a long, long time. It's not that I ever hated it, I just never went. Jason and I consider ourselves to be very spiritual people. Spiritual, not religious. There is a big difference between the two. I believe in a higher power. God, Buddha, whatever you wish to call it, I don't care. It's all the same to me. Needless to say my views or opinions are not restricted by what the church says I should think or feel. In the past, Jason and I have even considered not sending the kids to Sunday School in fear that they would get "brainwashed" or become closed minded to other religions. But then I realized that it could never happen, because we were their parents. I know they will always respect other people's religions because we do. As I listened to the kids in their classrooms, I remembered what I felt like when I went to Sunday School. I had always enjoyed it. There was no propaganda being pushed on these young children. All they were being taught was the basics of humanity. To do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Granted, they will also learn the Lords Prayer, the Ten Commandments, etc... But is that really so bad?

Later on, as the hour drew to a close, I was informed about the shortage of teachers this year. So.........guess who's going to be teaching Sunday School?? That's right. Me. To say I am a little nervous would be a gross understatement. I have never taught before. And, as I have said before, I don't exactly go to church every Sunday. I'm not sure how well I will be at it. The good news is that there will only be four kids in my class. I get my own classroom and have been given the choice of what color the room should be painted..........This decision could take me weeks. What really gets me excited is to think about the Christmas Pageant! Maybe they will need new costumes? One can only hope.

My whole motivation for deciding to teach is simply to become more involved. This is kind of my Fall Resolution. I really think that sometimes we can get to be too self-involved in what happens inside our own four walls. I also have signed up to participate in The Children's Wish Foundation's Walk For Wishes Parade. It is only 1km long, so we are planning to do it as a family. I'm going to decorate the kids' wagon for them. After the walk, they are having hotdogs, hamburgers, etc.... and then those sequin dancers(I can't think of their name right now) are going to put on a little show. They will also be face painting for the kids, draws for door prizes and more. I really think this might become a yearly occurrence for us. Anyone who is remotely interested should participate as it is for a very good cause. And will make for a fun family day! It takes place October 16th across the province.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|