Tuesday, December 21, 2004

The Best Intentions

I really had the greatest intention to write every day. However, every day there seemed to be something more pressing to do. Most days I didn't even turn the computer on! I wish I had written at least a couple of times, because it makes the recap all the more difficult. But here goes nothing..................

* We left for Moncton at 4:00pm on Friday, Dec 10th. My children stayed the night over at Mom's house. It was so energizing to see the lights of Moncton again. We stayed at Hotel Beau. I was beyond excited to finally drive through that gate. We were on the sixth floor. Our room overlooked the Assumption Building and Main Street. So just outside my window was one of those huge angels all lit up for Christmas. I loved it!

We walked to Bosford Street to see Magi. We were surprisingly early. When it was finally time to enter, there hanging bright and beautiful, was The Gown of Stillness. I instantly saw my pieces of material that I had donated. They were sparkling, catching the light. She used them in numerous places for that very reason. When I first met Magi, I was struck first by how small she was, and then by how nice and down to earth she seemed. I told her that I had read her book in one sitting and mentioned a line that had stuck in my mind. For some reason I could feel the tears coming to my eyes and a lump forming in my throat. Kellie had warned me that this might happen. She tends to have this effect on people. I had this unbelievable feeling of dejavu, or that I was exactly where I was meant to be at that moment. I took a lot of pictures of the gown and even got one taken of myself and Kellie with Magi. She even asked me to email the pictures to her!

Her reading was very intimate. Even though I had already read The Queen Of Peace Room, the book she was reading from, it felt completely new coming from her own voice. I even got up the nerve to ask her a question afterwards! Later, as she was signing copies of her book, Jason suggested that I buy one of my own. This way I could have my very own copy signed to me. He did very well considering that this was not exactly his "scene". All in all, it was a night I shall never forget. I'd even think I had imagined it all except I have a book which reads "To Jennifer, who loves the same line as me. Magi".

After the reading, Jason and I walked to The Lonestar restaurant. Kellie was getting a drive from another writer she knew. The four of us pigged out on steak and chicken sandwiches and nachos and salsa. Even though another lady had joined us, I still instigated conversations and was myself the whole time. I was quite impressed and proud of myself. Later, as we were walking back to the hotel, we spontaneously went down into The Piano Bar. It's this small quaint space which has, you guessed it, a man singing and playing the piano. Kellie and I totally loved it! He even sang "Piano Man". Occasionally a man from the bar would join in on his harmonica. We had one drink and then went back to Hotel Beau. None of us got much sleep. I kept getting up and staring down at Main Street.

Saturday morning we got up early and went to The Market for breakfast. I had the best French toast I've ever eaten. It was drizzled in maple and chocolate syrup and covered in flavor-bursting berries. Yummy! I bought myself a necklace and Kellie got a lot of her shopping done for Stacy and Mom. Then we sadly checked out of the hotel and it was off to Champlain Place. To say that it was busy there would be a great understatement. I felt so claustrophobic in Walmart, I might never go in another one. The good news is that I did buy myself a dress! The last dress I bought myself was my wedding dress......so I think it was time. It's black and made of a chiffon-like material so it is very twirly and flowing. It's sleeveless and kinda criss-crosses in the front. There is a little flower pinned over my heart and it came with it's own long flowing scarf. I also bought really long black earrings to match. Unfortunately, because of the weather, we ended up not going to Jason's work Christmas party, which is where I had intended to wear the dress. And we are no longer planning a New Year's Eve Party because we have no babysitter. But hey- now I own a fabulous dress if ever I get invited to something swanky. I'm even considering wearing it over to Mom's on Christmas Eve, just to wear it once.

* Sunday, Dec 12th, was our Anniversary. We went to town to finish up our shopping and to buy our Christmas tree. I bought a new pair of jeans, black dress pants and a white shirt and tie.

* Monday, Dec 13th, we decorated our tree and watched Christmas programs on television.

* Thursday, Dec 16th, I took the kids to town and met up with Jason after work to get our Christmas groceries, which of course, came in over budget. Then Jason took the kids home, while I ran into the mall to grab a few last minute things. I actually bought a Christmas tablecloth(only plastic) which is actually staying on the table. I think we are finally ready to have a tablecloth on the table all the time without little hands ripping it off. I also finally got to buy myself a real poinsettia plant, which I am using as a centerpiece.

*Friday, Dec 14th, was Paulina's 5th Birthday party. I didn't really want to go since my head was aching but Sherry needed help and my kids really wanted to go. This year Paulina had friends from school invited. There ended up being ten kids in total. But it actually went quite well. That night Jason opted not to attend the Keenan Christmas Party because he was just too tired.

* Saturday, Dec 15th, was spent completely trying to catch up on everything!! Laundry, dishes, mopping, writing out Christmas cards and making peanut brittle.

* Sunday, Dec 16th, was the kids Sunday School Pageant. In the morning at 10:00am was practice. It was snowing quite hard so I got Jason to drop us off and pick us up. To my surprise I received three Christmas presents from some of my students. I hadn't expected that at all. It was very sweet and kinda touching. After scrambling home, trying to get the kids and myself ready, it was curtain time at 2:30pm. One of my students didn't show so we had to make a last minute change, but no one could tell. Jules and Samuel did very well. Samuel even spoke directly into the mic. Abby wasn't feeling very well, so she had a couple of crying spells. At the end, they all got a gift. With the snow and the kids, it was a moment full of the Christmas Spirit.

* Monday, Dec 17th, was spent again trying to catch up on everything. I think I have made four batches of peanut brittle so far. The biggest news is that I finally wrapped all my presents and put them under the tree.

There! I think that pretty much recaps everything.

Today I'm getting my haircut and since Jason got called into work, Mom or Kellie is going to run over and keep the kids while I'm gone. I'm also going to try to bake Christmas cookies today using a new recipe from my Kraft magazine. Plus, I still have to make at least one more batch of peanut brittle and, depending on time, would like to make some mini chocolates to give to friends. And tonight, after Jason gets home from work, we are supposed go delivering Christmas cards. So I guess I've already spent too much time on the computer and should go and get to it!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|