Wednesday, December 22, 2004

The Croup

Last night Abby was up all night coughing. So today, after numerous attempts trying to get in touch with our family doctor, I ended up taking her to outpatients. There, I found out that she has The Croup. As far as I can remember, this is our first experience with the croup. I always associate it with little infants, but apparently you can get it anywhere from 0-5 years. Jules probably had it too, when she was sick last week, but since she is almost five, it did not affect her as strongly as it is affecting Abby. This is when you are supposed to take them into a steamy bathroom or outside on a cold night. It helps them to breathe better. To hear Abby cough is a sin. My stomach gets sick every time. I feel so helpless and scared. They said it is quite common and not too serious but when you hear your child barking like that, you can't help but worry. They said it usually lasts for three nights. That's three nights of really bad coughing. Three long, sleepless nights. I'm sure I have at least one night under my belt already. She coughed a little bit Monday night, but I don't think that one will count. So that is why I am up typing on the computer right now. Abby is asleep on the couch. I just know I won't be getting much sleep for awhile.

On the bright side, I'm pretty much ready for Christmas. Tonight we went delivering Christmas cards. I always enjoy doing that every year, but tonight Abby was barking in the back seat. Every now and then we would turn the heater off in attempts to give her some cool air which is supposed to help. Jason even rolled down all the windows once, but I made him put them up because I was scared the rest of us would catch pneumonia. I just have to make one more batch of peanut brittle and that's it. Today I made chocolates to give to Christina, Judy and over at Mom's. I still need to catch up on laundry(it's never-ending!!), clean the bathroom and mop the floors. I already made and froze a rice/pork casserole for Christmas Eve. I just have to make the chicken legs. I might even make those tomorrow night so I won't have to bother on Friday. Christmas Eve will be busy enough. Jason has to work most of the day so I will have to get all three kids and myself bathed and dressed. Plus I want to make my dressing for Saturday ahead of time. We're supposed to be over at Mom's for 3:00pm. Jason will most likely have to join us later, which is kinda sad - the thought of him coming home to an empty house and getting ready alone on Christmas Eve. But at least he is off on Christmas Day. No re-scheduling Christmas this year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|