Monday, June 13, 2005

The Force Is Strong With This One

Well, it's official. My kids are second generation Star Wars fans. Samuel has already ordered a light saber for Christmas. Every night for the last three nights, the kids have watched one of the classic episodes before going to bed. It really is kind of bizarre to hear them talking about Luke and Laya. Jason will torment Samuel and do the "Darth Vader" breathing, and say "Samuel, I am your Father", and then Samuel giggles. Yesterday Jason let them watch some of Episode I, and the other week Episode II - Attack of the Clones, was on CBC. Now the kids debate whether Annakin is good or evil. Jason and I went to the theater and saw Episode III. Call me a geek, but when that music started playing and those words were rolling up the screen, I became filled with excitement. We had never seen any of them in the theater before, so it was kind of cool to see the last one on the big screen. I don't care what any one else says, to me it was the best one yet. Hayden Christianson did an excellent job. I'll never look at Darth Vader the same way again. It made us want to come home and watch the original Star Wars series all over again.

Sunday we ended up doing neither of the things we had planned - camping or the work picnic. The weather really wasn't very good. We actually lazed around in bed for half of the day....literally. I mean we got up to get the kids breakfast and stuff, but then we returned to snuggle under the covers. We just laid there and talked and played with the kids. Before we knew it, it was 1:00pm! Jason turned to me and said he couldn't remember the last time we had stayed in bed that late. We actually had some extra money this month(what are the odds?) so after dinner we decided to run into town. We went to the Walmart and bought Jules and Samuel their own camping chairs. Abby had gotten a Dora camping chair for her birthday. And I hit the Walmart garden center!

I love, love, love this time of year - gardening time! Saturday I had finally tilled my garden all up in preparation for planting. When I say till, I mean I used a pitchfork and my bare hands. It was quite frustrating what with the millions of flies and the fact that I didn't even have my garden rake. Gary had come and borrowed it a few days ago, to rake some rock up at the mini-home. I had to use Mom's lawn rake, so..........you can only imagine how that turned out. But finally I was ready to plant. My garden is not very big at all. Just a little square. This year I decided to do something different. Instead of planting the traditional drills, which I've done the last two years, I went with a patchwork look or quadrants. I divided my little square into four. The first corner I planted tiny rows of carrots in a horizontal direction. Beside it, I planted tiny rows of green onions running the opposite way, or vertical direction. Then, yesterday I purchased some tomato, green pepper and bean plants which I planted in the third quadrant. The last corner I planted some marigolds. I like when people have flowers planted amongst their vegetables and I had never done it before. I opted for marigolds because they were cheap and are supposedly good for deterring bugs. So I made a little border of yellow and orange marigolds. Mom has some lilies that I can transplant. I might plant them there as well.

At the garden center I also purchased a hanging basket, some matching flowers for my window box and mail box planter, some red cedar mulch and my very own flowering shrub. When we were in the garden center, Samuel suddenly gasped and said loudly, "Mom! Look! Marigolds! We have to buy some for us to plant at our playhouse!". Last year I made a little flower bed in front of their playhouse and had helped each one of them plant some marigolds in it. So I bought some for them too. The weather was really wet today, so we didn't get a chance to plant them yet. But myself, I have been out the last two nights til dark, in the rain, landscaping and planting. I enjoy it that much. I'm not saying I have the greenest of thumbs or anything, it just makes me happy. It brings me peace.

Friday I went up to Sherry's to see the mini-home again. Her interior was all finished being painted. It looks gorgeous! I forgot to take my camera or I would post pics. The colors are as follows....brown kitchen and hallway, red livingroom, mossy/sage green master bedroom, orange bathroom, Anna's room is lilac and Paulina's is bubblegum pink. I have pics of it on the day it came. I just haven't uploaded them yet. When I do, if I think of it, I will put one on here.

This morning I had an interesting dream. I dreamt that I had asked Rosie to come here to Blackville to perform/speak or do stand-up with all the proceeds going to cancer research. And she came! She was signing autographs and talking with everyone when I started to cry. I was overwhelmed. I couldn't believe that I had caused this to happen all by myself. It was my idea. I had approached her and had organized the whole thing. Plus we had raised so much for cancer research. Then I turned towards the wall where there was tons of names each written on a yellow star, pasted on it. The names were all people who had died of cancer. I looked at one particular star, thinking "this was for you". I couldn't really see the name in my dream. Then I woke up. Analysis anyone? When I woke up I felt so inspired or something. Like it was a sign. I told Jason about it and that I felt like going on her blog and commenting about it, saying if you ever want to come to New Brunswick, blah, blah, blah.... Jason said, "Don't you think she'll think you're crazy?" Which I probably was. I did go on her blog but luckily the comments shut off. Interestingly enough, in her latest entry, she wrote:

2 all out there
be inspired
write a letter
join something
anything to help

in a dark room
turn on a light

then peace


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|