Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The Smell of Scotch Tape

Jason and I were planning on going camping this week. We were going to try out Stonehurst campground in Moncton. It's on my list of where to go this summer. But alas, it appears that we are in for rain, rain, and more rain. At least that is what Environment Canada is saying. And I think they know what they are talking about. I kept checking it every few hours of the last few days hoping it would change, but now it does not look like it will. Sucky. We were going to leave first thing tomorrow morning and stay two nights, coming back early on Friday. Part of me still wants to chance it, but really....who wants to go camping in the rain? Oh well, some other time.....

Yesterday, after remembering it was Monday, I herded the kids into the car and raced up to the mailbox. There it was! Finally! A hand-written envelope with the words "Samuel & Jules Keenan" on it. Jason was at work so I drove straight to Mom's house. I told the kids that something special had come in the mail. Mom was like "you might be disappointed, maybe you should let me open it". I think she was just as excited as me to see it. So I opened the envelope, pulled out two sheets of paper, and started to read.

Dear Parent,

Your child Samuel, will be entering Mrs. McCabe's Kindergarten..........


That's as far as I got before I screamed. I had really, really wanted Jules and Samuel to get into her class, rather than Mr. Flett's. It's nothing against him, I just feel more comfortable with Lori-Ann. Plus Paulina had her this past year and loved her, so I know my kids will too. Here is what each letter said.....

Dear Parent,

Your child Samuel(& Jules), will be entering Mrs. McCabe's Kindergarten class in the Fall. The kindergarten classes will be having split entry over a period of two days. This will allow 11-12 students to come with each day, with all students coming on the third day. Samuel(&Jules) will be attending Wednesday, September 7 and full time beginning Thursday, September 8.

The following is a list of supplies your child will need:

pencil sharpener
crayons
8 large glue sticks(We use lots of glue)
markers(washable)
3 pkgs. HB leaded pencils(no dollar store pencils, as the pencil sharpener eats them!)
shoes to wear inside(velcro or zippers suggested)
scissors
pencil box (to store markers, scissors, etc.)
4 pkgs. Hilroy scribblers
2 boxes of Kleenex
6 white erasers(very important)
1 ruler
1 lg. coloring book
10 regular duotangs(to hold loose leaf)
2 or 3 story books that they are familiar with
1 box large "Ziploc" bags
1 lg. pkg. construction paper
Student Fee - $13.00

Students are asked to bring a nutritional snack daily ( no chips, bars, pop, mini-sips or candy). Please put your child's name on his/her supplies, especially coat, footwear, backpack and lunchbox.

NO TOYS PLEASE!!!!!

Kindergarten students will not be buying lunch at the beginning of the year. We will notify parents at a later date when this will be permitted. To assist the bus driver with getting to stops, parents are asked to be at your child's driveway, bus stop for the first few days.

Looking forward to seeing your child!

Mrs. Lori McCabe


I'm so pleased! I had really wanted them to start on the second day. That way they don't have to go the first day, stay home and then go on from there. Now, they just go on their first day, and keep going. I'm really quite surprised with myself. I thought that when I had seen their names in print that I would start to cry. But so far, no tears. Well,.......that's if you don't count the tears I cried all year. And I know that I will probably start shedding them again in August and continue til' October. But hey, at least I'm not crying now!

I'm actually quite excited to start buying school supplies. I always loved school supplies. There's a line in You've Got Mail that goes something like...."What is it about Fall that makes me think of school supplies? If I had your name and address, I would send you a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils". That's me to a tee. Christina and I were just talking about the smell of a new bookbag. That unmistakable 'back to school' smell. And, to add to my excitement, Staples will be opening before school starts! I don't really know how much of the kids supplies I would really need to buy there, but I'm definitely going in.

With all the talk of Jules and Samuel going to school in the Fall, Abby's concern grows. Finally, yesterday she looked at me in tears and said, "Mommy, I don't wanna stay home". Her face looked so pathetically sad. I didn't know quite what to say to her. So I started talking about all the things her and I will get to do while they are gone - going for drives to town, shopping, etc... Then when Jason got home from work, Jules and Samuel ran up to him and said "We're going to go to school!". And Abby said with some conviction, "And I'm going to go to town!". She says it all the time now. I fear that she thinks we will be going shopping everyday.



Dear God!..........................My babies are starting school!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|