Monday, October 11, 2004

A Sad Day

This morning, at around 9:15am, I was lying in bed. Jason was kind enough to let me sleep in. As I lay there, I thought I could hear a familiar voice coming from the livingroom. That voice. Unmistakable. I got up immediately, came out and sat on the couch, not wanting to miss a single word. There he was....my old friend.......Christopher Reeve.

I assumed I was going to be watching a new interview with him. He must be campaigning for John Kerry, I thought. Then, cut to Katie Couric..........Christopher Reeve died at the age of 52......

I gasped. And my eyes filled with tears. It's not fair. This man. This man who against all unspeakable odds kept going, kept loving, kept working, kept believing was gone. His wife and children and the rest of the world had lost him forever. I still can't grasp the idea. It's too sad.

Like I said, it's not fair. If this is not a reason to vote for Kerry, I don't know what is. It makes me so angry to think that more could be done, learned, cured if stem cell research was given the attention it needs. The money it needs from the government. I'm not American, but if I was I would never, ever re-elect George W. Bush. I can't even begin to describe how sad and angry I am right now. I can not imagine how Christopher's family and friends are feeling. He was not only a celebrity to me, he was a great human being.

I went on the website of his foundation, http://www.apacure.com and read the statement released by Dana, his wife. They have an address where you can send the family cards, notes, donations, etc... I think I will actually send one. I don't have much money to give, but I guess every little bit helps. If everyone sent in five dollars, it wouldn't take long to amount to something. I am sure they will receive millions of sympathy cards and condolences. I just feel the need to reach out to them and tell them what a difference he made in the world.

Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation
500 Morris Avenue, Springfield, NJ 07081

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|