Monday, October 04, 2004

You Have a Spare Set of Keys...Right?

Yesterday was Sunday, which meant Sunday School. I swear the weeks are flying by. It's already October! I got us all ready early because I had some things I wanted to do to my classroom before the other children arrived. This week I wore dresspants and a sweater. I literally cannot remember the last time I wore a pair of dresspants. Really I can't. We dropped Abby off at Mom's and got to the church at 9:30am. I don't have a key yet so we had to wait until someone came to open the church. While we waited the kids played "I Spy" in the car and I visited someone I hadn't seen in six years. My grandfather. His tombstone was exactly where I remembered it being. His birthday is this month. I talked to him a little, but he never said much. Then I checked out who else I knew in the area. Ruby was there along with her husband. And Delbert's stone had finally just arrived. It's beautiful. Or as beautiful as a headstone can get. On one side of his name is a flyhook, on the other is a picture of the dog "Savannah" and at the bottom, it reads "Gone Fishing". Then on the back there is a big picture of Delbert, in the river, holding a large fish he just caught. Like I said, it was an amazing headstone.

At 9:45am, Donna arrived with the key. This Sunday I had two more students. Janice Sturgeon's Kayla and Debbie and Matthew's Joseph. They were both very sweet. So now I am up to five. Six whenever I need to take Abby. I was better again this week. The kids all made Thanksgiving Trees. You trace your hand, using your arm as the tree trunk, and your fingers as limbs. Then you write one thing you are thankful for on a leaf, one leaf per finger. They seemed to enjoy it. Each week I do better at talking to them. Next week there is no Sunday School as it is Thanksgiving Sunday.

Afterwards we drove to Mom's to pick up Abby, who was very happy to see us. Mom talked with me outside while I let Abby into the backseat. As horrible as it sounds, I didn't buckle Abby up since I was just driving across the road. I literally live across the road from my Mom and Dad. So, while talking to Mom, I shut the back door. Abby preceded to climb into the front seat. Then to my horror, I heard a "click". She had just pressed the power door lock button. The doors were locked. My children...........and my keys were inside. Thankfully the ignition was shut off. Mom and I just looked at each other dumbstruck. Then we tried to convince Abby to press it again in the opposite direction. She decided the horn was much more fun. So we moved on to Samuel, who was still buckled up in his car seat. We tried to tell him how to unbuckle himself, but he couldn't do it. Mom worked on Jules, but she couldn't do it either. Sherry and Gary arrived. They tried talking to Abby. If anyone had drove by at that exact moment, they would have wondered why we had the car surrounded, yelling into the windows. Finally I had a lightbulb moment, and told Jules to pull up on the knob on her door. Success! It's one of those situations where you need at least a few hours before you can laugh about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|