Sunday, July 30, 2006

Day 1

We walk into the main entrance of the Moncton hospital. Right now it looks strange but we know that it will soon become very familiar to us. We ask for directions to the pediatric ward. Jason is carrying Jules piggy back, trying hard to be fun and light about it. It works. Jules is smiling. A nurse named "Misty" greets us. She asks why we are there. I just stare blankly. I can't remember saying anything, only passing her my envelope for the doctor. She now knows who we are. They have been expecting us. First we must go and register. Another room. Another lady. Many questions. I have to think to remember her birthdate. Then back to Misty. The doctor is on her way. Here is your room. This will be our home for the next few days. Just how many days, we don't know. Doctor arrives. Her name is Dr. Hurst. She seems nice. Instantly familiar, reminds me of someone....an actress maybe? The chronological is fuzzy. I just know they tested her sugar and it was high. 28. You're supposed to be between 4 and 8. Not good. She has it. Diabetes. For sure. They put some "magic cream" on the inside of her elbows. They need to take blood and it's supposed to freeze the skin so it doesn't hurt so much. Jules doesn't like the idea. She hates needles. They take us to their treatment room. The walls are in the process of being painted like a mural. There is the outline of the little mermaid, she's just not colored in yet. Jules tells them what colors she is supposed to be. They lay her down. She cries, and they take their blood. Then it's back to her room. So many questions. Can she have children? Yes. Will she pass it on the them? Maybe, but not necessarily. Good chance she won't. What can she eat? Anything she wants. Damage to eyes, kidneys, etc..? No, and won't for her whole life as long as she keeps it under control. The doctor explains that we caught it early. Very early, which is good. If I hadn't taken her to the ER that day, she would have been back in 48 hours...... very sick. She tells me how the doctor in Miramichi was wrong - excessive thirst is a sign of diabetes in children. They are shocked that he wouldn't know this info. and that he was actually going to send us home with the diagnosis of a bladder infection. They give Jules her first shot of insulin. Unbelievable. I call home and tell Mom that yes...there is no mistake. They tell us we will be here for 4-5 days, they're not quite sure yet how long. They give us a tour of the ward - fridge to keep food in, family room with washer/dryer, a playroom filled with toys, showers, etc... Everyone seems really nice. Jules loves the attention. I don't think she gets it yet, or she's taking it extremely well. They give me a book to read to her. It's written by a nine year old who also has diabetes. Her story sounds a lot like ours. Jason tries to read it to her, but only gets to the second page before breaking down. Can't do it. They tell us that we will know everything before we leave here. Seems impossible. We will be taught everything there is to know about type 1 diabetes. They say we will soon be experts. I don't believe them. Dr. Hurst rubs my back, just like Dr. Cole did. Half of me is appreciative for their compassion and the other half wants everyone to stop touching me. Apparently, the treatment of diabetes has come along way. No more old needles, now they have "pens". No more not eating sugar, now it's carb counting. You count how many carbs you ate at a meal and give the appropiate level of insulin to cover it. I think I will never know how to do this. Jules cries everytime they check her sugar, because they prick her finger every time. The doctor leaves and says she will see us tomorrow. Tomorrow we will begin to learn or "go to school". It is freezing here in the hospital. I say I should have brought Grammy's cardigan. Jason runs out to get us something to eat at Wendys. He runs into Zellers to buy himself some underwear. He didn't pack near enough. He buys me a button-up sweater. He had two ladies at Zellers helping him to pick it out. He buys Jules a toy. She loves it. She says, "Today was the best day of my life, except for the bad parts". I cry. She is doing so well. Jason and I seem to take turns crying. Odd. We hardly ever cry at the same time. Either I am consoling him or he is consoling me. I take a picture of Jules with my digital camera. How I thought to pack it and not clothes, I don't know. They come in at midnight and at 3am to check her sugar. There is two huge lazyboys in the room for us to sleep in. We don't sleep at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|