Wednesday, April 25, 2007

The Walk For The Cure

As anyone who actually reads my blog must already know, my family is participating in the Walk For The Cure For Juvenile Diabetes. It's on June 3rd in Moncton, to help raise money for JDRF or Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

Now we are in the business of asking people to pledge money or sponsor us in the walk. To help raise funds I've decided we're going to have a yard sale. I had already been putting a few things away in the corner of the basement, toying with the idea of having a yard sale. I've never done one before. Last year they had a day where they encouraged everyone along the road to have a sale on the same day. I thought I might join in this year. But now that we are doing the walk, I figured this might be a good way to raise a little money for the cause. I've set the date as Saturday, May 19th - rain or shine. Is 9am too late to start? I know that yard sales usually start at 8am, but I'm scared that we would never be ready in time, especially since the kids are participating. Thoughts anyone?

The kids are going to have a lemonade stand at the same time. I guess my cousin actually has a genuine lemonade stand, that she said my kids could borrow. I didn't even know they made such things. It has a chalk board to write their prices on and everything. They'll love it! Thanks Janice! The lemonade is not going to be real lemonade but Crystal Light Lemonade, since that is the kind my girls have to drink. I thought it might help remind people what the money was going to. They also might be selling Rice Krispie Treats or some other baked good. Anything to help add to the pot. lol.

So now I have to go through my house again and see if there is anything else I am willing to sell. A great opportunity to let go of more "stuff". I got rid of a lot during the move, but a little more couldn't hurt. Mom said she has some things over there and Kellie too. I even got a call from a lady from Renous who heard of the sale and wanted to donate her things. It sounded like she might have quite a bit. Kids clothes, etc... She said she was going to tell her whole family about it and see if any of them had things to donate as well. Wow! I feel a cross between total excitement and total panic. lol. Like I said, I've never had a yard sale before and I'm scared of not being prepared. What does one need? Tables, small bills, change, little stickers for pricing, grocery bags to put their purchases in, .... anything else? Anyone who has experience in this, ...if you see that I'm forgetting something obvious, or have an opinion on the time to start, please, PLEASE let me know.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|