Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The plane boss! The plane!

A few nights ago I had a dream that I witnessed a plane crash, right from my own house.

* * * * * * * * * * * *

So yesterday afternoon, my girls were outside playing, my son was watching TMNT, and I was cooking supper and talking on the phone to Jason, who was on his way to work. All of a sudden I started hearing this noise, soft at first, then louder and louder. I looked to the television thinking, "What-the-hell are those Ninja Turtles doing?". Just then the noise got so loud I thought we were about to have an earthquake. I literally braced myself for the shaking. And that's when I saw it.

A plane.

I ran to the front window.

"Please don't crash, please don't crash.", I chanted, as I watched it disappear beneath the trees. I waited for it. The crashing noise, the explosion......

I raced out onto the porch.

And then another plane appeared.

And another.

My husband asked me yet again what was going on. He had asked several times but I hadn't answered him.

"I don't know", was my reply. I had no idea.

All I knew was that there were three planes circling our house. They were flying extremely low. And I mean extremely low. None had gone so low as that first one, though. I literally thought for a moment that maybe it had indeed crashed and these other planes were circling the crash site. Their huge shadows passed across our yard.

My daughters came running toward me. They were scared the planes were going to crash into our house. My son came outside. When he saw the planes, he pointed up and shouted, "It's Heroes of the Pacific!" - the name of a PS2 game about Pearl Harbor. lol.

Across the street my Mom, sister and her kids were also outside watching what now seemed like our very own air show. I grabbed the video camera and started taping so Jason could watch later. Just then a provincial forestry truck drove up the road with it's light flashing.

Forest fire.

I raced back into the house and put on some shoes. I shut off the burners on the stove, supper was just going to have to wait. I let Jason go, as he arrived at work. I know he hated missing all the action. When I went back outside I noticed that Abby didn't look so good, so I brought her back in the house to check her. Sure enough, she was low. I gave her a juice box and we ran over to my Mom's house.

My Mom and sister had also seen that first plane. And like me, they thought for sure it was going to crash into the river or into the camp in the Rapids. It was seriously that low. Our kids were no longer scared, and were waving at the planes who were still flying overhead.

Apparently there had been a forest fire of some kind down the road. I don't know how big it was because we never saw any smoke. But it was obviously out now, as the fire trucks went back up the road and the planes flew away.

And our suburban excitement was over.

Maybe tonight I'll dream that I won a million dollars :)

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|