Thursday, September 06, 2007

And....begin.

The first day of school has come and gone. Abby was so excited she barely slept the night before and hardly ate anything for breakfast that morning. Jason had taken the last half of his night shift off so he could wake up and see her off. There was of course the mad rush to make sure everyone was fed, dressed and packed. I had to pack so many things to take with us that I didn't know how we were going to carry it all. Six boxes of Kleenex, two sharps containers, glucagon, two red bags for carrying snacks to gym, etc..., newly filled insulin pen, pen needles, three pairs of inside shoes, four cases of juice boxes, four 3-packs of cracker snacks, and let's not forget the digital and video cameras. God bless Sobey's reusable shopping bags!



Finally when everyone was all ready and the pictures were taken, Jason headed outside to start up the old 68' Dodge. This was of course, the vehicle that Jason wanted us to drive up to the school in. We filled it with all the bags we had to carry, and left it idling at the mouth of the driveway. Being so busy, I never had time to cry or get too sentimental over the moment. Then the bus came. As I watched her walk across the road and climb those steps, it was like time stood still for a moment. Or the very least, went in slow motion. I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. She sat down and smiled at me through the window, her tiny hand waving furiously.....and then she was gone.



I stood still for just a second, feeling the moment, and then the mad rush continued. We had to beat the bus up to the school, grab all of the bags and be standing curbside, camera ready for when she stepped off the bus for the first time. The parking lot was full of parents doing the very same thing, so we were forced to park on the side of the road. Narrowly escaping falling into the deep ditch, I managed to somehow grab the heaviest bag there and walked as fast as I could to the front steps. Phew! Mission accomplished. Abby, Jules and Samuel all departed the bus and our whole family walked into the school. Surreal.


Abby never once seemed scared or sad. After unpacking our load and talking with both teachers, reviewing the girls schedules, etc., it was finally time to leave. By this time, our car was the only one left, sitting there all alone by the side of the road. How bizarre it was to walk across the parking lot, get into the car and drive off without taking Abby with us. Jason and I both turned to look into the back seat, almost surprised not to see her sitting there smiling at us. The past two years had been filled with special times spent with her while her siblings were at school. And now for the first time in 7 & 1/2 years, there was only Jason and myself. No kids at all. Bizarre indeed.

Just as we had done last year, we headed up to Nine Pine for breakfast....our new tradition. The place is filled every year with parents celebrating the first day of school. This year we were joined by Sherry and Gary, who with Anna in preschool, also found themselves childless for the day. During breakfast, Mom called the cell just to let me know that Abby was doing fine. After returning home, I tried to busy myself with things that I enjoyed doing, so as not to sit and watch the clock. I decorated the porch for Fall, which was my first time, considering we did not move in last year til the end of October.

At 1:50pm, the phone rang. It was the school saying that Abby was 24.6! Got Mom to give her 1.5 units before sending her onto the bus. And so it begins......

The trio arrived home safe, sound and still looking forward to school tomorrow, which I guess is all you can ask for. I'm sure before you know it, I will be too.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|