Monday, October 18, 2004

Catch You Up To Speed

Friday night we took all three kids to the movies to see Shark Tales. Even Abby! I was a little nervous because she had never gone to the movie theater before. We had taken her to the drive-in this summer, but that's different. I have to say she acted the best. She's fearless. We hadn't planned on going. It was very spontaneous. So we were late getting there. By the time we made it into the actual theater, the previews were almost over. You think that since Abby had never gone before, she would be a little nervous entering into a large dark room, full of strangers and loud noises. But she just walked in holding our hands and sat down in her seat. Usually I will sit in the very back row. I tend to get motion sickness sometimes. This time we were so late that all the good seats were taken. And we had to find five seats in a row. We had to sit near the very front. I think we were like in the fourth row! Too close for me, but the kids didn't seem to mind. They just sat and ate their popcorn and candy.

After the movie, I stopped at Roger's and rented another DVD to review. The big one released last week was The Day After Tomorrow, starring Dennis Quaid and Jake Gyllenhaal. It was better than I expected. It's the one where there is a massive climate change and Los Angeles gets huge tornadoes and New York gets covered in ice and snow. Not bad. I submitted my column last night, but they are having some technical difficulties at http://breadnmolasses.com, so I'm not sure when it will be published. It's kinda cool....this gig. The people at Roger's just know me as "The Reviewer". It's like I'm a lame super hero.

Saturday was the Wishmaker Parade. It was pouring down rain, but we left, armed with our umbrellas. Their was quite a turn out. Dozens of children running around. Balloons everywhere. After I registered, we set to work decorating the kids' wagon with balloons and the posters I had made, while the kids got their faces painted. Samuel was a cat, Jules had a rainbow on her cheek and Abby opted for a sparkling yellow star. Then, just as it was time to begin, they announced that we would be driving in our cars rather than walk in the pouring rain. Some people still opted to march, but we stayed nice and dry in the car. I was a little disappointed because I was so proud of my posters that were now hidden in the trunk along with the wagon. We tied some balloons to our car and tooted the horn most of the way. There were two drenched clowns walking and giving balloons to any children they saw along the road. We traveled from the Newcastle Fire Hall, around the square, past Sobeys and then back to the Hall again. They had a BBQ afterward with free hotdogs, pop, etc... for all who participated. Because the weather was so crappy we decided to skip the BBQ. But it was a good experience for both me and the kids. I think it will become an annual thing for us.

We had to return my DVD and ran into Jason's parents in Douglastown. We ended up having dinner with them at the P.J. Billington's. Then into the Dollarstore where I bought a needlepoint or Cross-Stitch kit. Who knew you could get that at the Dollarstore? I guess you really can find anything there. I have been wanting to try my hand at cross-stitching. I'd like to have something to keep my hands (and my mind) busy this Winter. I guess it's the little old lady in me. I'm actually really excited about it!........Don't tell anyone.

Sunday I taught my first actual lesson at Sunday School. My books finally came in. It was on Noah's Ark. I had to edit some stuff out. There were some things in the story I just couldn't bring myself to say. Later, after watching Desperate Housewive's (my new favorite show!!!) Jason and I watched Cold Mountain.

sigh

I haven't cried that hard at a movie in a long time. Even today I found myself thinking of "them" and how sad it was for "them", like they actually existed. We stayed up til 2:30am because we watched "Journey To Cold Mountain" - the behind the scenes documentary. It helped to see that Jude Law was really ok and Nicole Kidman was happy. Helped me to see it as just a movie and not a true story. Although stories like that are probably happening somewhere in the world, as this war continues to rage on and on.

I find I have been so melancholy lately. What with Christopher Reeve's passing and watching Fahrenheit 9/11, the political debates on television and The Day After Tomorrow. Cold Mountain just put me over the top. I went outside today in the rare sunshine. I packed away all my garden things and decorated some for Halloween. The fresh air did help my mood a little.

Kellie just gave me some exciting news....This week she will be interviewing none other than Jenny Grier!! My girl from last season's Canadian Idol!! I LOVE HER!! Very exciting!

But as God is my witness, the next movie I review will be a comedy. Most definitely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

|